Purchasing a home is a huge investment. This explains why you should have a home inspected before buying it. Unfortunately, after purchase, most homeowners forget that houses just like people require routine check-ups to prevent various structural problems. As you know, prevention is the best cure as far as owning a home is concerned. Have a look at piping, foundations, and roofing to ensure your investment is well-protected. The following are some health hazards that can be found in a home.
Home health hazards
If leaks are left untreated, the mold is likely to grow. It can also grow in hard-to-reach areas that are not well dried. It is possible you have seen it in the bathroom. Remember that mold likes places that have a lot of moisture. Moisture is found at sources of leaks, which can happen if you have an old piping system. In fact, even a small leak can create a conducive environment for mold to grow. Eventually, it will cause a lot of structural damage if foundations collapse or are eaten away. Also, the mold is a serious health hazard due to mold spores. In fact, in extreme cases, evacuation has been done by the government. It is advisable to hire a qualified home inspector to detect leaks and other health issues.
It is estimated that radon kills over 30,000 Americans every year. It is known to cause lung cancer. In fact, it is the second rated cause of lung cancer after cigarettes. Decaying uranium found in soils causes radon. It is available naturally in the air. However, it is not considered to be a serious health hazard unless it is trapped inside a house. Radon leaks cause a lot of radon to be inhaled, which becomes a serious problem.
The majority of homeowners do not give asbestos much thought with the new homes. However, houses that were built in the 1970s still have asbestos. If you are planning to renovate an old home, you should have it inspected for asbestos first. This is because it can cause fatal respiratory diseases and even lung cancer. You should have asbestos removed by experts before they get disposed.
Lead-based paints are no longer sold in the market. However, some of the products imported contain lead in their paints. In fact, lead-based paints are a serious concern when they are ingested. In fact, they can cause lead poisoning.